APPENDIX 1. Check Catalog for landholders.
The interview is open and non-structured and is
conducted by the interviewee after opening a line of conversation. The questions
are not to be followed or done in this specific order or format, as long as the
interviewee meets the Check Catalog systematized below. The questions serve as
a guiding map and inspiration only. The interview is also a first contact to
meet the person and hence it’s very
point, Stream and
a. Primary School b. Secondary c. Tertiary d. University e.
Riparian Values and relationship with
- Do you like your stream? Why?
- How do you live better, with or without stream?
- What do you use the stream for, and what do you like in it?
Why? Why is the river good?
- How was it used before? 30-50 years ago. Before did people
use the river more, or less?
- Would you prefer to not have the river in your property?
- What do you use water for in your property? And what are the
- Do you have any problems with water and streams? And in
Portugal do you think there are any problems regarding this?
- Do your neighbors have the same problems?
- Do you think streams have environmental problems?
- Is there lack of water? And Pollution? Why? And before, 30-50
- Was there anything done in this region at the environmental
- Are you worried or have needs at any other levels? What are
those worries or needs? Why do they exist? What can be done to change the
situation? Is there anything you can do,
Conflict, social dynamic and control
- Are any of the features you identified or valued in the
stream getting lost? Why?
- Would you like that to be different? How could that be
- Is there anything you can do to change it?
- Is the conjoint management with neighbors difficult or
- If so, what are the issues at stake? Are there conflicts?
Why? And 30-50 years ago?
Preliminary survey of
stakeholders and policies
- Are you receiving any subsidy or funding? From which entity?
How did you know about it?
- Is the stream managed and cleaned or not? Who does it? How is
it done? Why is it done that way?
- Do you recommend anyone you think I should talk to about all
- In this area who is managing water and streams? Who is
interested in them? Who likes them and usufructs from their
- For how many years do you live or work here?
- What area is this? To what village does it belong? Who’s
the owner? Is he from here?
- Do you like to live here? And before, did you like to live
here, more or less then nowadays?
- Do you have any activities besides your work here? Do you
work, even if sporadically, to any NGOs, Political parties, the church,
cooperatives? Why do you do it or why not?
Use (monetary or not)
Economic (monetary or not and markets
Identity and Attachment
Attachment and Identity
Attachment to place
Identity with lifestyle
Attachment to the
Attachment to the stream: Water, Corridor, Stream structure, Flora,
Value and behavior profile
Proactivity and engagement: Activities for NGOs, political
Knowledge about streams
Ecological Functions: sink, conduction, filter, corridor, source, barrier,
Features connected to:
- Water, volume e quality
- Stream Structure – artificial/natural
Impacts of Water Reservoirs
Environmental worries in general
Worries with stream and water
Problems felt associated with water issues: scarcity, quality,
superficial/subterranean, which of the identified stream values are at
Other worries and problems felt
Control Perception and stakeholder and institutional preliminary
People and institutions having interest in water and streams
existing and their explanation and possible solutions
The role of landholders
in the solutions
Existing wrong signals in policy
Water and stream management
Who manages streams and how and for which purpose
landholders on streams and their motivations
Space: Administrative or Community belonging
Community to which they belong to
Region to which they belong